Keeping Kosher in Columbia
Yes, it is possible to keep kosher in Columbia! Many of our congregants do so, and it gets easier every year. This page offers some resources. We welcome your suggestions for making this page more complete. If you have comments or additions, please feel free to contact the office at (803) 782-2500.
Beth Shalom Synagogue does not endorse or oversee any of the businesses listed on this page. Each person is responsible to ensure that a particular establishment or product meets his or her standards of kashrut.
All our local supermarkets carry a large variety of products produced under kosher supervision. This often includes store brands; check the labels and you may be surprised! Here’s a small selection of kosher products available in the Columbia area:
- Trader Joe’s on Forest Drive recently opened. They carry fresh kosher meats, cheeses, whole foods, and much more!
- Publix Market on Forest drive carries a variety of kosher products. They have a frozen kosher section including frozen kosher poultry and many prepared items in addition to a dedicated portion of an aisle for kosher products.
- Piggly Wiggly also has a kosher food section along with a frozen kosher area too. Piggly Wiggly has a good selection of Passover products and kosher cheeses.
- Kroger carries Best’s products (meat).
- Sam’s Club has kosher frozen fish along with other items. Also, Wal-Mart carries some kosher foods.
- Morganelli’s Party Store has a few varied kosher wines in their store on Forest drive.
The synagogue office maintains a list of local kosher caterers. Please call if you are interested, or to inquire about periodic kosher meat deliveries.